This recipe makes ten cinnamon buns
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp of instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ ounces of melted unsalted butter
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ¼ cup warm full cream milk
- ½ cup of warm water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp. of ground cinnamon
- 3 ½ ounces of unsalted butter
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 2 ounces of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. ricotta or mascarpone cheese
- Zest of one lime (orange or lemon can be used as well)
Method – Cinnamon Buns
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, water, egg and melted butter.
- Dump dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir to form a sticky ball.
- Transfer dough onto a well-floured surface and gently knead for 2 minutes or until the dough is soft and no longer sticky.
- Transfer dough into a lightly greased bowl and loosely cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap.
- Let rest in a warm, dry place, away from any direct sunlight for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, mix softened butter, cinnamon and sugars together to form a paste. Set aside.
- After the dough has rested for 20 minutes, transfer onto floured surface.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll out dough into a rectangular shape, about ¼ inch in thickness.
- Evenly spread filling onto dough.
- Gently roll the dough into itself, forming a log/cylinder shape.
- Cut dough into 10 even pieces and place into greased baking dish, lined with wax paper.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour or until buns have doubled in size.
- Bake in oven at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add glaze to warm buns and enjoy!
Method – Cream Cheese Glaze
- Using an electric mixer or by hand, combine softened butter and cream cheese.
- Gently fold in icing sugar, in two separate additions.
- Beat in ricotta/mascarpone cheese.
- Fold in lime fresh zest.