When we say Geera Chicken in Trinidad & Tobago most times we are actually referring to masala chicken and that’s because a lot of geera recipes use masala blends in them which is more than just the geera spice. For my geera chicken, I only use geera. For this recipe I use a blend of whole geera and roasted geera powder to achieve maximum flavor.
Geera Chicken Ingredients
- 2kg mixed chicken parts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup green seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 carapulay (curry) leaves
- 2 tbsp whole geera
- 1 tbsp roasted geera
- 2 shadon beni leaves finely chopped for garnish
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
Green Seasoning Ingredients
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2″ piece of ginger
- 1 bundle chives
- 1 bundle shadon beni
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste
How To Make Green Seasoning?
Add ingredients to a food processor
Grind until a paste is formed
Seasoning The Chicken
Add green seasoning to chicken
Season liberally with salt & black pepper
Allow chicken to marinate for at least one hour
Cover the chicken and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Ideally you would want to leave this overnight for the flavors to absorb into the meat.
Cooking The Geera Chicken
- Add whole geera to a pan and toast until it begins to pop
- Add oil to a pot on medium/ high heat
- Add 3 cloves of garlic and carapulay leaves then chunkay until garlic turns dark brown
- Add seasoned chicken to the pot
- Add roasted geera then toss and sauté for 2 minutes uncovered
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low then simmer for 5 minutes
- Increase heat to high then add water and bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat, simmer for 8 to 10 minutes
- Add remaining fresh herbs
- Serve & Enjoy
Toast whole geera until they get fragrant and start to pop
Add carapulay (curry leaves)
Chunkay until garlic cloves are brown
Add seasoned chicken to the mix
Roasted geera adds more flavor to the dish
Cook the chicken for about 20 minutes
Love your recipes but could you add at the end of the recipes the number they serve.
Re the green seasoning recipe, how many chives and chadon beni are in a bundle? I live in the US
Looks delicious would love to try! Is there anything you can do if you don’t have access to curry leaves?
You can omit them, although they add great flavor to the dish they won’t make or break the final outcome.