Emily shows us how to preparean “unboring” roasted vegetable bulgar salad, filled with bright vegetables, aromatic herbs and tons of flavour. Bulgur is a whole grain made from cracked wheat. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. It is a more nutritious alternative to rice or pasta and it is extremely delicious and filling. Eating healthy doesn’t mean just wolfing down a standard toss salad anymore. There are many ways to eat healthy without having to sacrifice the pleasure of great food.
Special thanks to our friends at Waitrose for sponsoring this recipe. Waitrose products can be found at Massy Stores nationwide.
Steamed Rosemary Garlic Bulgar
- 1 cup of Waitrose Quick cook Wholewheat Bulgar
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup of water or vegetable/ chicken stock
Roasted Vegetables & Salad
- 2 cups of diced pumpkin
- 1 cup of mushrooms, cup into quarters
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil + 3 tbsp for dressing
- 2 tsp of lime juice
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups of chopped fresh vegetables
- Sweet peppers
- Red onions
Method – Steamed Rosemary Garlic Bulgar
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and sauté until soft. Add bulgar and gently toast in the olive oil and garlic.
- Once gold brown, add water and allow to bubble. Once a rolling bubble is achieved, add rosemary, turn off the heat and cover the pan.
- Set aside for 10 minutes for the bulgar to absorb the liquid.
- Fluff with a fork and add to salad once completely cooled.
Method – Roasted Vegetables, Salad & Assembly
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss pumpkin and mushroom in olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Toss the vegetables and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Once the roasted vegetables are totally cool, combine the bulgar, fresh vegetables and roasted vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add lime juice, olive oil, feta cheese and salt & black pepper to taste.
- Toss together.